Monday, November 17, 2014

Day 17: Low-Tech Tank

Everything is going well in this tank and water is at 6.4 pH after 50% water change.



Bacopa Caroliniana
They continue to grow well but the tips are starting to turn pale red. Growth is also compact but all the stems are growing side ways probably due to high water current.


Hydrocotyle leucocephala (Brazilian Pennywort)
This is one of the new plants added this week. I intend to collect different types of pennywort or hydrocotyle as they are my favorite plant species. Initially, their leaves melted but has recovered since and growing new leaves. They smell like tobacco by the way.




Hemianthus micranthemoides (Pearlweed)
Another plant that has been added this week but it suffered major meltdown and at this point most of its leaves are gone. I thought SAE's were eating it but I later realized that they were only cleaning it up of algae but the leaves just took off because they have melted already. I start to notice new leaves growing though so I will leave it to its own business and hope that it grows back eventually.



Hydrocotyle Tripartita (Pennywort)
This plant just took off! It has more than double the leaves now since I planted it in this tank. I might start planting some of its leaves in a bigger pot soon.

Ludwigia Glandulosa
This was originally planted in the high-tech tank and it grew fast and beautiful. However, I noticed that this plant seems to be very greedy in nutrients and its roots are extremely dense. I'm now going to try if this will grow just as beautiful in a low-tech tank.

Staurogyne Repens and Monte Carlo
these plants do not seem to be thriving in this tank. I lost a few leaves on staurogyne repens and monte carlo had few dead ones already. I might start sending monte carlo back to the high-tech tank.

Hygrophila polysperma and Rotala Indica
These are cuttings from high-tech tank. I expect these plants to thrive here since they are considered to be "easy" plants. Let's see how they do here.




No comments:

Post a Comment